While severe hurricanes may be a fact of life in many parts in Chattanooga GA, there are some simple measures you can take to minimize the commercial property damage in Chattanooga and reduces their risks of business interruption
Probably the most important thing you can do to protect your property against storm damage in Chattanooga in the first instance is to make sure that your buildings and roof structures are intact and don’t leak. Pay particular attention to windows and doors as once these have been broken, internal pressurization of the building can catastrophically lift the roof off in strong winds. If you haven’t already done so, you should prepare an emergency plan that can be activated at short notice in the event of a severe hurricane warning.
Some of the basic things they need to address in the plan include:
- Knowing how to tune into severe weather warning services and radio broadcasts
- Preparing (and rehearsing) evacuation procedures
- Pre-packing an emergency kit that includes important contact numbers (e.g. key staff, broker, insurance company, etc.), a portable radio, torch, spare batteries, first aid kit and plastic bags (for clothing/valuables)
- Having emergency equipment on standby (e.g. tarpaulins, rope, nails, hammer, timber, sandbags) to protect the plant, stock, and other building contents if the storm damages the roof or wall structure
- Isolating water, gas, and electrical power supplies when severe storms are forecast to prevent further damage and personal injury from ruptured pipes or fallen power lines.
If your commercial property in Chattanooga is located in an area that’s prone to strong winds and severe storms, it’s worth getting a builder to assess:
- How well the roof, windows, and doors are secured to the building wall structure
- The building’s ability to withstand wind forces characteristic of the location
The roof’s attachment to the wall structure is critical. It is also important to make sure that any gable roof frames have adequate bracing at the gable ends. The cyclic nature of the wind load can lead to the progressive deterioration of fastener strength over time. If fasteners loosen and pull out, windborne roof and wall cladding debris can cause further damage to surrounding buildings.
After checking the structure is secure, it’s important to inspect the building’s surroundings. Remove any overhanging branches or adjacent trees (with council permission) that could fall on the building in high winds or following a lightning strike. If space permits, plant windbreaks of trees on the prevailing windward side but well away from buildings.
Be sure to also check around windows and door frames for any gaps, where water seepage commonly occurs, and seal these also. Finally, blocked or inadequate stormwater drainage pits can cause water to back up from the ground level up to the roof during a downpour. Ensure that your stormwater capacity is adequate for your property’s needs. At the same time, identify whether any interior pits or basements require sump pumps. And if your property is in a high flood risk area, installing barriers, embankments and other measures can considerably help.
Storms and hurricanes can be devastating to any business. Wind damage, heavy rain, and flooding can occur suddenly and cause substantial damage in a matter of minutes. There’s never a convenient time for flooding or storm damage to strike your business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency arises in your business, give ServiceMaster of Cobb a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need for storm damage restoration in Chattanooga and hurricane damage restoration in Chattanooga.ServiceMaster of Cobb has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial storm damage emergencies in Chattanooga GA. Regardless of your property type or size, we will respond quickly to clean the property and manage the restoration project through to its completion. Learn more about our training and certifications. When ServiceMaster of Cobb professionals is dedicated to your commercial property, you can be sure you’re getting the best the industry has to offer, built on decades of expertise. No type of damage is too big or too small for us to handle, we’re standing by to help 24/7. CALL 678-909-1078 NOW!