Why You Shouldn’t Use Bleach on Mold

Why You Shouldn’t Use Bleach on Mold

Mold is not a topic that most homeowners want to think about since most homeowners find it concerning. If they are discussing mold, it is likely because they have discovered some mold in their home, and as it can be both dangerous and costly, chances are if you find some, you are trying to determine how to get rid of it as soon as possible before it spreads.

You may be wondering if you can do mold remediation yourself and if so, what type of chemicals or cleaners you should use. We hope to provide you with some answers to your questions!

What is Black Mold?

Black mold is a fungus that may have a dark green color,  It is also known as “Stachybotrys chartarum”.

Basically, this type of mold grows in a moist environment, like the areas inside the bathroom, wet walls, basements, and moist kitchen cupboards. It usually grows on damp wood, which has enough moisture to cultivate mold growth.

Bleach is NOT Always the Answer for Many Mold Problems

Bleach is the chemical that comes to mind when thinking of dealing with mold problems. It is often regarded as the answer for expelling and ending mold development and is usually the primary solution many reach for when cleaning a mold infested area. While bleach may be effective in certain applications such as laundry, it won’t absolve mold on porous surfaces and can sometimes amplify mold problems. We will explain three reasons why bleach should not be used to combat and remove mold and provide better alternatives for you to choose from.

Bleach Loses its Effectiveness

Bleach rapidly loses its effectiveness once you open it. If you leave a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days, the substance will evaporate and possibly within the container.  That being said it is difficult to get rid of black mold and its spores.

So, if you don’t know how old your bleach is, your cleaner may not be effective at all. What may end up happening is that the older bleach will only partially kill the surface mold and create a bigger mess than you already had, This can cause problems in the future.

Bleach is Only Designated for Non-Porous Surfaces

What are non-porous surfaces?

This means that chlorine bleach can only kill mold on the surface. Even the use of bleach will not be effective because black mold may have been rooted deep in the moist wood. So, if you want to eliminate the mold from your home, bleach is not the answer. 

Bleach is Harmful to You, Your Family, and Even Your Pets

Bleach produces vapors that pollute the air and can become harmful to both humans and pets. It also generates a by-product called dioxin, which is linked to cancer. Used over time, bleach builds up these pollutants in the environment. As we’re sure you’ll agree, the last thing you want to do is create more toxic chemicals in your home – mold is toxic enough, so don’t add more!  There are many safer alternatives that are also much more effective at getting rid of mold.

So, the question now is, what should you use to kill mold?

Many factors need to be considered when determining whether you should clean up the mold yourself or hire a professional for mold remediation in Marietta. We all know that the number one factor of mold growth is moisture. So if you plan to do it yourself, you need to make sure that there minimum moisture present in your home.

Or you can also hire a mold removal company in MariettaWhy?

We hope that this blog convinced you to hire mold remediation services. At ServiceMaster of Cobb, our mold remediation experts have the tools, training, and expertise to locate and remove all mold spores from your home or business. They can conduct a mold inspection in Mariettamold removal, and mold remediation anywhere in these locations.

Contact us at 678-264-3310 in Georgia, 423-220-4482 in Tennessee, and 678-909-1078 for Commercial. You can also visit https://www.smrestoreus.com/ for more details. We are serving businesses and homeowners located in Georgia and Tennessee.